Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Salumu Alakum!

Salum Alakum is the Arabic greeting "Peace be upon you!"

Recently I have become very interested in Arabic and Middle Eastern countries. Where did this inspiration come from? Well, it probably started with my listening to the Amelia Peabody Series by Elizabeth Peters. 

I used to have this idea that I would never have any reason or desire to listen to a book when I could just read one. It probably didn't help that the only book I had ever attempted to listen to was a terrible written story narrated by mediocre voice talent. Then one day, I began working in the Outdoor Gear Repair Shop in Corvallis. The shop is a fair sized room made from an old garage of a building, and is filled with different sewing machines, various hardware, scrap fabric and materials and plenty of gear in need of repair or recently repaired. The man who owns this shop and works in everyday loves to collect and listen to audiobooks. So while I was employed there I got to enjoy quite a few good books with good and bad narrators and discovered how much easier it is to do mundane work while listening to a book. Expanding my vocabulary isn't a bad side effect either.

One of the last books I had the privilege of listening to was one of the Amelia Peabody books: "Seeing a Large Cat." I fell in love with the characters in the story. Amelia Peabody is an opinionated Brittish Egyptologist, that has a wonderful family of colorful characters placed in 1880s to early 1900s. Most of the books take place in Egypt and always have some sort of mystery that needs to be solved and usually some confounded young lovers that need her help. The narrator of the audiobook is a very good narrator. If you decide you should listen to these books, you should look for the versions narrated by Barbara Rosenplat. Elizabeth Peters in a wonderful author, and I would recommend reading the books if you don't want to listen to them. The author definitely knows what she is talking about when it comes to the history and relics of Egypt, which means in reading the books you are actually learning something about history. I am currently on book 12 of the 19 book series, and can't wait to finish them!

Listening to Amelia's passion for Egypt makes me want to go and see it for myself. A world that is desert is very intriguing. The other two books I have been reading this month have also inspired me to learn about the Middle East. The nomadic tribe of the Tureg have certainly captured my interest. I have also recently learned about one of the most expensive hotels in the world is located in Dubai, and it is interesting! Dubai seems to have a collection of unique and modern architecture. 

Burj Al Arab-- Luxury Hotel of Dubai

Now back to the phrase "Salumu Alakum!" In the Amelia Peabody books, a reader will become familiar with some Arabic words that the author has included in the story. This phrase is definitely one of them. Imagine my surprise when I was walking out of Corvallis's Dollar Tree and I heard and recognized this phrase! Imagine my further surprise when the person who said this phrase was a Caucasian gentleman, holding the door open for two Arabs! Hearing him say that to them, really made my day! I do not think I would ever be brave enough to try to speak someone else's language here, because I feel like I cannot differentiate between races that well and would hate to offend someone. If I was in Egypt, it might be a different story! 

Egypt is definitely a place I would like to visit one day, and Arabic might be a language I want to learn (It's at the back of the line though). I love how a whole new world has been opened up before me, thanks to a book!

No comments: